19th IFFK BLOG

(Maintained by IFFK Media Cell)

DOWNLOAD PRESS RELEASES HERE: https://app.box.com/downloadpressrelease

Wednesday 17 December 2014

My films are letters to spectators: Nuri Bilge Ceylan

“Film is a letter sent out to the spectator. It is just like putting a pot in the sea. We don’t know where it goes. The audience aren’t harmonic,” said Nuri Bilge Ceylan, renowned Turkish film maker. He was speaking to Gonul Donmez-colin, the film scholar in the session ‘In Conversation’conducted in connection with IFFK 19th edition.
Indian audience is unique. They reacts to the each and every minute element in the movies, I have studied a lot from Satyajith Ray. I like literature more than cinema and hence I wanted to reflect the same kind of experience in my films. In my movie Winter Sleep, I have experimented this. Moreover in this films my parents also casted roles. It was very difficult to direct them, added Nuri with a smile.
To a question on women characters in his movie he said, “I am taking characters from real life. I don’t bother about men-women relationship in my films. As a man I know the soul of man than that of a woman. All the women around me are strong. But the men are usually cowards. In general man is weak and woman is stronger.”

No comments:

Post a Comment